I found a recipe I figured my family would like and one that I could make several batches of and freeze. This recipe will please even the pickiest eater with the creamy, cheesy taste mixed with the taco flavors! It is gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and egg-free.
I found the original recipe on the Written Reality blog, but I swapped some of the ingredients for better options to use cassava tortillas, preservative free ingredients, and pasture-raised meat and dairy.
Noah and I had such a fun time making this one together, and there was SO much clean up to do after! However, the adventure and the meal were worth it!
Find the original recipe here.
- 1 pound of grass-fed ground beef (or bison)
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 1 pack of organic taco seasoning (gluten-free, preservative-free)
- 1 can organic refried beans
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup organic, grass-fed sour cream
- 1-2 pack cassava and coconut tortillas (or gluten-free tortilla of choice)
- 2 1/2 cups of organic mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice the onion.
- In a large skillet, cook the onion in some butter or oil until golden brown. With kids, it is important to really caramelize the onions so they have a sweet flavor.
- Add the beef to the onion, and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the packet of taco seasoning and can of refried beans to the pan. Stir, and heat through.
- In a separate bowl, blend the cream of chicken soup with the sour cream. Add half of this mixture to the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Add a layer of cassava tortillas on top of the soup mixture. Cut some of the tortillas in half so you can cover the whole casserole.
- Spread on half of the ground beef mixture.
- Top with a cup of cheese.
- Repeat all of these layers, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, and serve. If you are storing in the freezer, let it cool, cover, and then store. Make sure to label it with the date and recipe name.